Thursday, September 30, 2010

Recipes Revisited: Asian Pork Ribs, Memphis Style Cole Slaw

This past  winter my crock pot died during "Snowpocalypse" and I mourned its passing. But thanks to Ebay I was able to buy the same reliable old model, and I now have 2 stoneware crocks for the same slow cooker.

This was useful yesterday when I needed to cook the country pork ribs I'd bought over the weekend, and needed to do it all last night.

The first batch went into the pot around 7 PM in the sauce described below. And around 11 PM I removed the crock and in went a second batch, in the Memphis Style Barbecue sauce I buy at Wegmans. The first ribs went in to the fridge overnight and the pot went into the sink after I had cooked down the sauce in the microwave for 10 minutes and fridged it too.

The second batch  cooked overnight and before going to work this AM they joined the first batch in the refrigerator.

Tonight the Man will cook rice as usual. I will take the fat off the top of the Asian sauce and reheat it, thickening it with cornstarch as needed. The girls will eat the pork over rice. Leftovers will go with SC to school as is or as fried rice--more on that some other time.

I'll make the Memphis cole slaw and let it chill for an hour if there's time. Then I'll dump some canned navy beans into an oven safe dish, add some of the liquid from the Memphis pork and some of the shredded pork itself, and heat it in the oven for a half hour.

And the beans, the cole slaw and a little of the pork will be my dinner.
YUM!

ASIAN CROCKPOT PORK RIBS 
 The sauce is enough for  about 2 pounds of ribs. I split a 4 pound package and make the other half in the Memphis sauce. If you are just making the Asian ribs, I'd recommend doubling the sauce.
 
3-4 pounds "country" ribs (bone in  work best, boneless take less cooking time)
1 chopped onion (optional)
The Sauce:
3/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup ketchup
2T white or cider vinegar
1tsp  chopped ginger (you can buy it bottled in most produce sections)
1tsp chopped/minced garlic (you can buy this jarred as well)
Place ribs in the crock pot.  Add the onion if you are using it (I often skip it).
Combine all other ingredients and mix. Pour over the ribs, turning them if need be to make sure they are coated.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. You CAN cook this on high for 3-4 hours, I often do this.
Remove the cooked ribs and place in a dish or on a plate.
Transfer the sauce to a microwave safe container (or you can use the crock).
Microwave for 10 minutes, stopping at 5 to stir.
(Timing on microwaving will vary with your machine.Watch throughout so the sauce doesn't boil down TOO much!)We like a thick sauce, so at this point I add 1 Tbs of cornstarch mixed with 1 Tbs of cold water to the sauce, stir it and cook it for 3-5 minutes more.
If there you've used bone-in ribs, the meat will fall off the bones, and will chop easily.

MEMPHIS STYLE COLE SLAW
I cut the dressing in half from the original recipe as we were finding it made the slaw too soupy.
1 package cole slaw mix 
1 red pepper, cubed
Dressing:
1 cup mayonnaise  OR 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1/8 cup dijon mustard
1/8 cup cider vinegar
3/8 cup sugar
1 Tbs celery seeds  (DON'T leave these out!!)

Combine the cole slaw mix and red pepper in a large bowl.
Combine dressing ingredients and pour over veggies. Mix well, and add only enough to completely moisten the slaw.
Cover and refrigerate, preferably for at least an hour. This will keep well for a few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...