Friday, September 17, 2010

Recipes Revisited: Big Blue Muffins

Since I have to repost all the recipes I have posted in 7 years on Blog City, I've decided that it's a golden opportunity to look at these recipes.

 I am not one of those cooks who follows recipes blindly and never adjust things. When I find a new recipe, I will immediately start figuring out how I can tweak it to suit our tastes, dietary needs and my cooking style--which is basically get it done quickly and make it delicious!

I'll start today with these muffins, which I have been making for many years from a recipe I got from a magazine. I'd immediately replaced the butter in it with canola oil, but done nothing else to them over the years.

But several months ago I forgot to turn the oven from 400 degrees to 350 after 5 minutes as the recipe requires. Luckily, at 15 minutes, I smelled them cooking and pulled them out before they burned.

Not only were they not burned, they were wonderful. Better texture than with the longer baking time--the outside is firm but the inside has a lovely pound cake like texture. If you prefer softer muffins, you could stick to the original version, but the Man and the girls love these. And they cook faster!

Important note--keep your anal retentive when cooking spouse away from this batter. Otherwise, he will over mix it. Not only should muffin batter NOT be over mixed, when you over mix batter w/blueberries in it, the finished muffins will have a surface that looks sort of like blue cheese. Tasty, but some may dislike the look:


BIG BLUE MUFFINS

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line muffin cups with paper liners.

Mix in a large bowl: 1/2 cup canola or corn oil with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy
Add: 2 eggs. Beat well.
In a separate bowl combine 2 cups flour w/2 teaspoons baking powder.
Slowly add flour mix to the oil/sugar/egg mix until blended in.
Add: 1/3 cup skim milk. Mix until blended--don't overblend!
Add: 2 cups blueberries--fresh or frozen. Mix just enough to get the berries in the batter. 

Fill muffin cups about 1/2- 3/4 full.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then check. They will not take more than 20 mins

OR
Bake at 400 for 5 minutes, then reduce to 375 and bake for 20-30 minutes more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...