Monday, September 27, 2010

Recipes Revisited:Banana Bread

Many years ago, back when the Man lived here in Northern VA and I was still living in the Bronx, I bought him a Moulinex mini food processor. I thought he might use it for garlic chopping, but then and now, he prefers to do garlic prep work by hand with a knife.

But that processor is still in our house, and I've found it ideal for making pesto and for a lot of other small jobs. Recently, I added mashing bananas for banana bread to that list. It makes them into a smooth, baby food like puree that blends beautifully into the batter.

You can also mash the bananas with a fork, but if you do, make sure that they are as over ripe as possible, otherwise they are hard to blend smoothly.

This became a staple in my house during last winter's snowstorms. The Man will eat bananas in just about any stage of ripeness--prefers them over ripe in fact, but the girls and I are more finicky. So if I get the over ripe ones before the Man does, they go into this.

I love this bread smeared with a little peanut butter as a breakfast that gives me the fuel I need for ballet class.Or a morning of toddler programs......


Banana Bread

3 ripe bananas (enough to make 1 cup mashed. You may need less or more depending on banana size)
1 egg
1/2 cup cooking oil (NOT olive)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon peel (This is optional. I use dried lemon peel)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (Optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Mash the bananas by hand or with a food processor so that you have 1 cup.
Mix bananas  with egg,oil, sugar & lemon peel(if using)
Add in the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix to moisten all flour--don't over blend!
If using the nuts, add them, again mixing just enough to blend them in.
Grease a loaf pan (I use cooking spray) and pour in the batter.
Bake for 50-55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...