Thursday, November 4, 2010

Apple Cakes NEED Cinnamon!

Apples and cinnamon love each other. So when I saw that this recipe I'd gotten from "Cooking Light" didn't include it, I added it.

I also subbed oil for butter/margarine and processed this in my food processor.
It's similar to the fruited coffee cakes I make that my mom calls "tarts", but with a much fluffier cake consistency. And it's easy to assemble--no batter to spread and top, just pour it into a round cake pan.

You could top it with whipped cream, but it's unfortunately just fine plain. Because I keep cutting more slivers and eating it right out of the pan........

Apple Cinnamon Crumble Cake

Combine in a food processor or blender:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup oatmeal (NOT instant)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup (packed)brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup oil--canola or vegetable,NOT olive oil

Process until everything is blended and mixture is like coarse meal.  Remove 1/2 cup and set aside.

Add:
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup apple juice or cider
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg

Process until well blended. Fold in:
2 peeled,coarsely chopped apples (McIntosh or something similar)

Pour the batter into a greased round 8 inch baking pan. Sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture across the batter.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. When the cake is ready it will spring back when touched lightly.
Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...