Monday, November 15, 2010

So Simple A Child Can Do It--Maybe: Corn Bread

SC, my 15 year old daughter is supposed to be learning how to cook. I mean, she might be out of the house 3 years from now <sob> and I want her to go off to school learning the basics at least. And I mean by that beyond opening a can to heat soup!

This summer my work hours changed and I now work until 8 PM on Monday nights. So I've left it for her and her father to get dinner.

The Man is a capable cook, but not an efficient one. SC is a reluctant cook. So it gets interesting.

Yesterday, I made a navy bean soup (recipe will follow later this week) in the crockpot, and they just need to reheat it and perhaps thicken it for dinner. So I've suggested that they make a pan of corn bread for a side dish.

This recipe, originally from King Arthur Flour's website, is pretty much a "dump" recipe. Whisk the eggs and the milk. Dump in the dry ingredients, blend, pour in the pan and bake.

The cornbread has a soft, almost creamy texture and a sweetness that the girls love.

I have left the dry ingredients premixed in a container on the counter. The big bowl, a spoon and the measuring cup are out. The recipe book is open to the recipe.

I truly believe that JR could make this herself. I truly believe that SC and JR could do it together, if they could cooperate for about 10 minutes. And I'm pretty sure that the Man could manage to make this quickly, though not as quickly as I would, because he will painstakingly scrape the pan of every bit of batter, where as I give it a quick once over with the scraper, then dump it in the sink.

One way or another, the results should be interesting!

Corn Bread

3 eggs
2/3 cup milk (skim is fine)
1/2 cup melted butter or oil (we use canola oil)

Whisk the eggs, milk and butter/oil in a large bowl. Add:

1 1/2 cups  King Arthur unbleached flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
heaping 1/3 cup (2 3/4 ounces) granulated sugar


Mix just enough to thoroughly moisten the dry ingredients (DON'T overmix!)

Grease a 9x13 pan and pour in the batter, smoothing it with a rubber spatula if needed.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...