Thursday, January 27, 2011

Evil Brownies

Hi, my name (or one of them)is The Library Lady and I'm a chocoholic.

Generally when I make chocolate things around here I try to stick to No Pudge Brownies, Chocolate Pavlova, or other stuff that is reasonably healthy. Because if there's chocolate here, I can't stop myself from casually eating a whole lot of it.

But sometimes, you gotta have the real thing. Especially when you've just spent 30 minutes driving through scary snowy roads and are anxiously waiting for your husband to get home safely from what usually is a 45 minute drive home, but became a 4 1/2 hour journey.

These evil brownies (evil because of the fat content) are adapted from a recipe in The Joy Of Cooking. The microwave makes melting the chocolate simple, or you can make them even more simply and a trice healthier by using the cocoa/oil alternative.

And if you mess up and put the eggs in with the cooled chocolate instead of beating them with the sugar first, they'll still come out fine.

As I said, I was a bit distracted last night......

Evil Brownies

4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) butter
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour

Place the chocolate and butter in a large glass measuring cup or other microwave safe container.
Microwave for 2 minutes, then stir to blend. If things are not fully melted, continue to microwave for one minute intervals. Let the mixture cool to room temperature before continuing


Cocoa alternative: combine 12 tbsp cocoa powder with 4 tbsp canola oil. Blend well in a large bowl and then continue with the recipe. No need to wait for the chocolate to cool!

Put the eggs in a large bowl and beat them well. Blend in the sugar until well combined.
Add the chocolate/butter mix. Stir it in a bit--it doesn't have to be well blended. Add the vanilla.
Stir in the flour and blend well.

Spray a 9X13 pan, pour the mixture in and bake at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes.

Note:You can also bake these in a smaller pan. If you use a  9X9 square or a 11X7 pan the brownies will be cakier. Allow for extra baking time of up to 10 minutes....


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Four eggs. I think this tops my from-scratch Brownie recipe on the evil scale.

    I think Brownies are my favorite baked treat. I love them even more in a sundae. Too bad (or good thing, depending on how you look at it) there is a chicken in the oven right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NoPudge one I make in contrast uses 1 egg white :)

    They're tasty and quick, but not a par on these. The girls like to top them with whipped cream or frozen vanilla yogurt. Actually, JR likes both, plus a bit of chocolate syrup.

    ReplyDelete

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...