Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pecorino Romano, I Love You: Roasted Broccoli/Cauliflower

I still keep shredded Parmesan in the house. But last spring or summer JR and I decided to try Pecorino Romano instead--Wegmans sells it shredded in tubs. And now it's a staple in my fridge.

It's wonderful in Risi Bisi--when I made it that way recently the Man wanted to know why it was a particularly good batch. It's excellent on buttered pasta of any kind.  Any recipe that's good with Parmesan is even better with this, because it has a more assertive flavor.

So when I decided to try roasting broccoli a few weeks ago, it was the Pecorino I used for the topping. And last week, I found it's equally wonderful with cauliflower.

I've added garlic slices to cook with this as well. But it's fine without it, so I've left it out of the recipe.

One other thing to note--when I normally steam broccoli crowns, I cut them close to the ends and toss the stems. But when I roast them, I use the whole crown. So this is economical as well.

Roasted Broccoli/Cauliflower With Pecorino Romano

broccoli crowns--I use 4-5 large crowns
cauliflower--one small head
olive oil--Extra Virgin is NOT necessary!
Pecorino Romano--shredded

Wash the broccoli and cut it into small sections. Cut off the stems close to the flowerets and slice the stems down into small circles.

If you are using cauliflower, wash it, core it and cut it into small flowerets

Place the broccoli/cauliflower into a large bowl and add a small amount of oil. Toss to coat, adding extra oil if needed.

Put the broccoli/cauli onto a large, foil covered baking sheet.

Bake at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, tossing halfway to turn and make sure everything is oil covered.  When done, the vegs will be starting to brown and will be a little crisp.

Place in a serving dish and sprinkle with Pecorino Romano cheese. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...