Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Recipes Revisited: Risi Bisi Gets Even Better Or:More Fun With Peccorino

This recipe dates back to a version I adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe. The girls have always loved this, but when I made it a few weeks ago even the Man (who prefers basic white rice like the good Pinoy that he is) raved about it.

The secret ingredient was the same Peccorino Romano cheese I mentioned some time back as a topping for roasted vegetables. It has a more assertive flavor than Parmesan and we all love it in this.

The beauty of making a risotto in the microwave is that no stirring is required, and the whole dish takes 20 minutes. While my slow roasted chicken with lemon and garlic was finishing in the oven, this was cooking as well. And I realized that I didn't have to defrost the peas in advance--I just tossed them in and stirred them for a few minutes once the dish came out of the microwave, then added the cheese. Done and delicious.

Risi Bisi  (Risotto with Peas)

1 Tbsp olive oil
12 oz   arborio rice (or other short grain white rice)
4 cups chicken broth or stock (heated)
1/4 cup chopped onions (for this I usually use the dehydrated or frozen kind)
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2-1 cup Peccorino Romano cheese, shredded
(you can use Parmesan if you don't have Peccorino)

Place the oil and the rice in a 3-4 qt microwave safe dish (I use a square Corning casserole)
Heat for 90 seconds.
Stir in the broth and the onions.
Cook for 9 minutes. Stir and cook 9 minutes more.
Add the peas, stirring for several minutes until the peas are defrosted and cooked.
Stir in the cheese.
Let rest (preferably covered) for a few minutes, then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...