Monday, March 21, 2011

Good Even When It Isn't St Patrick's Day

The Man pulled the loaf at left out a little early.It's paler, but still fine.

This soda bread, which I got from "Baking Bites" (link in my bloglist) is so ridiculously simple that I made 2 loaves of it last Wednesday night, gave the girls some for breakfast  on St Patrick's Day and brought the rest to work. And I would have made another loaf for a friend that morning if I hadn't had to clear up for the cleaners. It's really that simple.
I had some leftover buttermilk from making biscuits for that pot pie last week, just enough for one loaf. For the second I used dried buttermilk, which is readily available in the baking aisle and keeps in the fridge for years.

The Man suggested trying dried cranberries in this, but I had lots of raisins on hand, so I used them instead. Next time I make it, we'll do the cranberries, and I won't wait for another St Paddy's Day--this is a good anyday bread. It got wolfed both at work and at home--not a scrap left.

Since I'm not a Christian, I didn't make a cross on the bread, but an "X". Did you know that it is believed that the pejorative "kike" is said to come from a Yiddish word meaning " little circle"? Immigrants at Ellis Island who couldn't write their names wouldn't make a cross when signing papers--instead they made a kikele. Hence the word.

Happy Belated St Patrick's Day!

Irish Soda Bread With Raisins
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins (if they are dry, soak them briefly in warm water to plump them)
7/8 cup buttermilk or 3 1/2 Tbs dry buttermilk + 7/8 cup of water

Combine everything except the buttermilk if you are using fresh buttermilk. If you are using dry buttermilk combine everything but the water.

Mix in the buttermilk or water to make a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until the dough forms a smooth ball.

Shape into a 6" round and place on a parchment or Silpat mat lined baking sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. When done, a toothpick inserted into the bread will come out clean.

Cool before serving.

1 comment:

  1. My husband's cousin made it with cranberries for us last fall and it was really, really good. I love soda bread for breakfast with tea. (Yeah, ok, I love all bread.)

    ReplyDelete

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...