Friday, June 10, 2011

My Girls Eat Spinach: Spinach RIcotta Frittata

Both of my girls like broccoli and they both like spinach generally in recipes. So when I saw a "Recipes For Health" recipe for a spinach and ricotta frittata, I decided to try it.

The initial recipe seemed too bland to me--though SC liked it. Perhaps it was because I didn't put the mint in it called for in the recipe.  I like mint, but didn't want it here. What I wanted was something more akin to the filling I use for spanakopita. And perhaps that's why JR didn't like it much--she's a big fan of that recipe.

The spanakopita filling I use is based on one in The Victory Garden Cookbook and includes eggs. And near it in the cookbook I saw Marian Morash's own version of a spinach frittata.

So I blended the various recipes and came up with my own version, which everyone likes a lot. JR decided she'd prefer a regular omelet though, so when I made this a few nights ago, I put some of the filling aside and made it into a small 2 egg omelet just for her.

Morash's recipe requires you to mix egg and spinach together and pour it all in, but I prefer to put the eggs in, let them set a little and then heap the filling on top, making a sort of crustless quiche. She also bakes this in the oven, while I prefer to cook it stove top and then finish it under a broiler

Fresh ingredients are lovely, but bagged chopped spinach and frozen onions make this go together in a snap. And SC liked it so much she took it--cold--as her school lunch a day or two later.


Spinach Ricotta Frittata

8-10 oz (about 1/2 bag) frozen chopped spinach
1 cup frozen chopped onions
1 cup ricotta cheese (I use the part skim)
1/4 cup (or more)  feta cheese
6 eggs, beaten


In a large, oven proof skillet (I have a LeCrueset pan) cook the spinach and onions so that they give up their moisture. Since you are using frozen vegetables, there's no need for oil, but you may want to use a little cooking spray on the pan to prevent any chance of things sticking.

Place the spinach/onion mix in a large bowl and beat in the ricotta, then crumble in the feta. Taste the mix and add more feta if you want to adjust the balance a bit.

While you are working on the spinach mix, pour the beaten eggs into the skillet and let them start cooking on a medium heat. When they begin to set on the bottom, heap in the spinach mix, smoothing it out to cover the whole surface. Lower the heat as far as you can, cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes.

Uncover the pan, place it under the broiler for a few minutes until the edges begin to brown.


If you have more filling than you need you can put this in the fridge for a few days and use frozen phylo cups and make tiny spanakopita out of them--JR's favorite. You can see more about that here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...