Monday, June 27, 2011

Recipes Revisited:Sweet & Sour Chicken, Or:My Oldest Needs To Learn One Of My Oldest Recipes

This is one of SC's favorite meals so I figure she should learn how to do it herself. Monday night is her night to cook--with help/kibbitzing from her father, so I am leaving them this recipe.

I've been cooking this since college. I think I got it from my housemate Beth's copy of the "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook, and I've made it ever since. This is the basic recipe, but I have made this in a crock pot and it works well that way--recommend using a metal rack to hold the chicken, then pour the sauce over. And I like to sometimes broil the chicken for a few minutes at the end after adding the pineapple--it crisps the skin and helps the pineapple cook.

But the pineapple is optional--SC doesn't like it. And this is the recipe I was cooking one night, commented to my husband that I was out of pineapple and it really was better with pineapple and had him ask later at dinner: "Isn't this supposed to have pineapple?"  

Sigh......

Sweet and Sour Chicken

3 lbs (4-6) chicken thighs, skin on
1 16 oz can of pineapple chunks (juice pack), drained 

Sauce:
2 Tbs corn starch combined with 2 Tbs water (shaking it in a jar works best)
1 cup soy sauce (reduced sodium preferred)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp (I use a lot more than that) chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger (jarred kind is available in the produce section)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cover a baking dish in foil--this is messy!
Spray with cooking spray and put the chicken thighs in the pan, skin side down.

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a microwave safe bowl--I use a 1qt Pyrex measuring cup.
Heat in the microwave for 2-3 minute intervals until it bubbles and thickens. Keep your eye on this--it can overboil and make a heck of a mess if left in too long.

Pour about 1/2 of the sauce over the thighs.Bake for 30 minutes.

Turn, pour the rest of the sauce over the thighs and bake for 20 minutes more.

Scatter the pineapple over the top and spoon sauce over the fruit. Bake for 10 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...