Monday, July 18, 2011

The "BBQ Lady" Strikes Again: Rosie's Salmon

Cooking fish on the grill is a major challenge and I didn't quite master it last night. I needed to oil the skin before I flipped the the salmon fillet I was cooking, didn't and the skin stuck quite a bit. And it got dryer than it should have--always a problem with salmon. But it still tasted good--thanks to Rosie's marinade.

"Rosie" is my sister-in-law, the one I truly love. Ten years older than the Man and I, she's the one who was there whenever we needed someone when the girls were little. She's a fabulous cook--I learned how to make pancit canton from her, and the recipe for sati babi here is hers as well.

I got this salmon marinade from her long ago and have used it ever since with the broiler. And I knew it would work just as well on the grill.

Recently I have been eating an "Asian Bourbon Chicken" at Wegmans which I suspect is made with a similar marinade. I will try this on chicken soon and report how it goes.

But last night there was wild Alaska salmon on special from the supermarket, and both the Man and I ate and enjoyed it.:

Rosie's Bourbon and Brown Sugar Salmon

1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons bourbon
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil.

Place the fish in a large plastic bag or a glass container.
Combine the marinade ingredients and pour it over the fish. If using a plastic bag, push out all the air and wrap it around the fish securely--you want the fish to marinate as much as possible.
Marinate for 4-8 hours.

Remove from marinade and place on a broiler trail or grill pan.
Broil or grill --fish will flake and be opaque when done.

I started the fish skin side up, then turned it after about 5 minutes. I think I could have entirely cooked it skin side up, but I flipped it without oiling the skin. It stuck, but it also crisped beautifully and I was able to scrape it up!
You can save the marinade--I know, health concerns, but if you boil it for about 5 minutes in the microwave it will be fine and nice for drizzling over the sauce. Especially if it's gotten a bit dry ;)

2 comments:

  1. You can rub oil on the grill with tongs and a wad of foil dipped in oil, then put the fish skin down. I make a similar marinade for salmon, with the addition of ginger or ginger powder. Even the kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had sprayed the grill with cooking spray, so it flipped fine, but figured it was oiled enough from marinade for skin to be okay. Figured WRONG!

    My girls had steak instead--cheap chuck that I'd marinated in a herb garlic marinade--and loved it. JR SAID she would try the salmon and backed out. Oh well, more for the grownups!

    ReplyDelete

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...