Sunday, September 18, 2011

Carrot Salad

JR has become a baker--more about that later--and today she made carrot cake cupcakes. And since she only used 1/2 the bag of shredded carrots, I grabbed my Desperation Dinners cookbook and created my version of their carrot salad.

This is the same sort of carrot salad you may have grown up on from home or from deli. I never experienced it till I was an adult but I love everything in it and have always wanted to make it.

Blending equal parts of mayo and low-fat yogurt gave me a satisfying dressing here as it does in coleslaw. The pineapple was one of those small snack sized packs--JR likes them in her lunch. And the whole thing only had 2-3 Weight Watchers points per serving.

A lot better than those cupcakes are going to. And since JR expects me to try one, it's a good thing I saved points here!

Carrot Salad

1/2 bag shredded carrots  (about 1 1/2 cups)
4 oz pineapple tidbits (juice pack)
1/8 cup reduced calorie mayo
1/8 cup low fat yogurt
1/8 cup raisins
tip:if you have dried out raisins, soak them briefly in warm water, then drain before adding

Drain the pineapple. You need about 1/4 cup of juice for this. Mix it with the mayo and yogurt.
Pour the liquid over the shredded carrots, then add the pineapple and raisins and toss well.
Serve or refrigerate for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...