Friday, September 23, 2011

My "Desperate" Peanut Sauce

I cut up pork and made marinade for sati babi after ballet class and before going to work today, thinking we'd all eat it tonight. But then SC got her period and SC with a period is a very uncomfortable, unhappy young lady. So when she asked for McDonalds, I got it for her, and since she was getting it, JR had some too...

But the Man and I ate the pork, and it was disappointing. It was too bland--I hadn't had quite enough cumin for the recipe and the cumin is really a key ingredient. Nice grilled pork, but not that lovely marinade flavor.

Not a problem for the Man, because every Friday he comes home and begins peeling garlic. Then he chops some of it and eats it,RAW with whatever we're eating between then and Saturday night. Whatever food he eats is really a garnish for the garlic!

I needed a sauce though. So I grabbed my copy of Desperation Dinners and looked up something I've been meaning to make, their "Spicy Peanut Sauce".  I love peanut sauce with Thai or Vietnamese food, and had been wanting to try to make my own, since the canned/bottled ones are chock full of fat and salt.

I used reduced fat peanut butter.  And instead of adding oil, I added an equal amount of hot water to liquify it, which cuts the fat nicely. As the Man said, peanut butter has enough oil on its own!
I didn't add any hot pepper since I wanted a sweeter sauce. And next time I think I will omit or reduce the sesame oil to just a dash because I want more peanutty flavor.

It was just what the pork needed. Tossed with some rice stick noodles, it was a great Friday night dinner.
And now I've got an easy to make peanut sauce. Time to try making summer rolls to dip in it!

My "Desperate" Peanut Sauce
(based on "Spicy Peanut Sauce" in "Desperation Dinners"


2 Tbsp reduced fat peanut butter (we like the chunky kind)
2 Tbs hot water
2 Tbs soy sauce (reduced sodium if possible)
2 Tbs sugar

1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1/8 tsp ground red pepper (optional)

Combine the peanut butter and hot water in a small dish, stirring to dissolve.

Note:You can also heat peanut butter and water in the microwave for about 30 seconds)
Stir in the other ingredients. 
Taste and adjust as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...