Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Oh, Albany! Chocolate Chip Poundcake

I wake up my 16 year old daughter for school  by turning on her IPod on a speaker. One morning last week I was amused to hear it playing one of the songs I'd listened to when I was in college 30-something years ago back in Albany, New York.

I couldn't do much baking when I lived in the dorms--no oven--but as soon as I moved into a house with two friends I got back into it. One of the recipes I often made was this cake, which I think I got from my housemate's copy of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

It's delicious and evil and I hadn't made it in many years. But last week I pulled out the stained little spiral notebook of index cards that I started back then and found the recipe and made the cake. And needless to say, both of my daughters like it as much as I do.

When I started cutting this it was still warm and the innermost part of the slices were a little mushy. As we cut our way through the loaf over several days, we found the innermost part still had a wet spot. I seem to remember this being the case back in Albany as well. I think that's how it meant to be. And dry or moist, it's delicious either way.













Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
I made this with my lovely KitchenAid mixer, but back in Albany I'd have done this by hand, and it works just fine. I'm giving the recipe as in the original with all butter, but I used 3/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup canola oil and it didn't effect taste or texture...

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 to 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
Add the flour/baking powder/salt alternatively with the milk.
Mix in the chocolate chips

Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 70 minutes.
For best results, cool before slicing--this is fragile and may break if handled before it's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...