Sunday, October 2, 2011

Recipes Revisited:It's Fall & Time For Sweet Potatoes

Suddenly in the last day or two the temperature has tumbled. When the girls and I went shopping today, we all had to wear our "fuzzies", our family name for fleece jackets. And we are just hoping that the cool weather might also bring some blue skies with it--September has been one of the wettest on record in the DC area!

I'm starting to make fall dinners again. The girls think of tonight's meal as our "Thanksgiving before Thanksgiving", but to me it's just a quintessential fall dinner--roasted turkey breast and sweet potatoes.

In recent years my father complains each fall that sweet potatoes don't seem to be as sweet as they used to be. Part of it is simply that at 90 his taste buds aren't what they used to be, but there is some truth in the fact that often sweet potatoes are better for a touch of brown sugar. Not the gloppy, sickly-sweet marshmallow-topped sort of stuff, but a simple sweet syrup. Just enough to glaze the potatoes a little and provide that sweet boost.

Last Thanksgiving my dad was in the hospital and I ended up making Thanksgiving dinner. We brought him some the following day and I noticed he ate this dish with relish.

Here's hoping that he's home with us this year enjoying his favorite holiday. And that I can persuade my mother to let me make this dish for us all!

SWEETENED SWEET POTATOES
Boil 3-4 large sweet potatoes in a large pot of water for 15-20 minutes, until just soft enough to piece easily.
Let them cool and then peel them. If they cool completely, the skins may slip off easily just by using your fingers.


Cut the potatoes into bite sized chunks. Don't worry if you can't cut them into perfectly even sized pieces. They will cook just as well and taste just as good as any made by a Martha Stewart (feh) type and your family isn't looking for pretty food, they're looking for tasty food!
Put the potatoes into a greased 9x12 baking pan. If you cover it with foil first, cleanup is easier.


Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of brown sugar. Make sure the sugar is well packed into the measuring cup, then just sprinkle it on with your fingers. I am not specifying which kind of brown sugar--I've used both dark and light and both work fine in this.
 You can dot this with 5 tablespoons of butter (or margerine), but I always just sprinkle of 5 tablespoons of canola oil instead. It's a little healthier and it's faster.Then sprinkle with 1/4 cup of water. You can mix things together, but it'll work fine even without stirring at this point.


Bake at 350 degrees (F) for about 45 minutes.

You can also make this ahead of time and store it.It reheats beautifully.

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember if I saw this before, but this is much like my mom's recipe, but easier because she candies the potatoes in a skillet. I am all for letting the oven do the work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I may not have posted some previous comments I made because I am having intermittent trouble with my blogger profile. I spend time typingnout my comments and then it doesn't remember me and loses them.

    ReplyDelete

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...