Monday, November 19, 2012

Crock Pot Stuffing: Grandma Eda's Recipe in 2012

Thanksgiving is going to be very different this year no matter what, because we lost my dad in June, and because my mom has been dealing with a serious illness since April (MDS), and recovering from a broken femur since mid-July.

It's not going to be the same without my mom and dad arguing over the stuffing of the turkey. On the other hand, because of the stuffing and the fact that Mom insists on a huge turkey, dinner was always late.

So I'm trying to streamline the process.

I've tried making bread stuffing in the crock pot several times and this week decided I needed to try and perfect it. If it worked, I could take my crock pot up to NY and make it that way. We could cook the turkey without stuffing.



My Grandma Eda's recipe is a basic bread stuffing with a few seasonings and with the giblets from the turkey. But because I cooked a turkey breast this weekend, I had no giblets. Luckily, you can buy packaged gizards/hearts and chicken livers. No turkey neck, but everything else I needed, and the extra chicken livers will be lovely cooked with mushrooms and onions some night. If Molly, our 7 month old kitten gets lucky, she'll get some liver too--Mama Bella the senior tabby doesn't like liver, the silly.

I found a similar recipe on All Recipes.com and adapted it slightly. That recipe called for up to 4 cups of broth and next time I will probably use it all. This time I only added 2 cups and the girls thought it was a little too dry--they like their stuffing really moist.!

But it tasted wonderful. Now to persuade Mom to let me cook it this way.....

Grandma Eda's Stuffing  2012: Crock Pot Version
1 package bread stuffing cubes (we like Arnold's or Pepperidge Farms at our house)
1/2 green pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
2-3 ribs celery, diced
Giblets: if you have them from the bird, use them. If not, I used about 1 cup of chicken gizzards and 2 livers
1 egg, beaten
4 cups chicken broth/stock

Place giblets (except for the liver) in a saucepan and cover with water.
Cook at a low boil for about 1 hour. You should have 1/2 -1 cup of water when it is done.
Add the liver during the last 10 minutes. 
Drain the giblets and save the liquid.
Let the giblets cool for a few minutes, then dice them.

In a slow cooker (mine is about a 3 1/2 quart size) place the stuffing cubes, the pepper, the garlic and the celery. Add the giblets.

Add the egg and mix everything well.

Add the saved liquid from the giblets to the stuffing and enough additional broth to moisten it well.
Cover and cook on low for 4-8 hours.  Check and stir occasionally, and add additional broth if you want the stuffing moister.


1 comment:

  1. If I get back to eating bread, I hope I remember this. I make great stuffing, but I always did it with a LOT of butter for sauteing the onions and celery.

    ReplyDelete

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...