Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cole Slaws To Love: Asian Cole Slaw


One of the things that often happens as you age is that you discover that you like foods you didn't even want to try as a kid are delicious.If you're lucky, they're still around. If not, you spend a lot of time trying to recreate them.

As a kid I didn't like NY deli cole slaw--though I did love potato salad--but as an adult I love it and keep finding new versions to make at home.


There's the Memphis style cole slaw I make along with pork ribs--you can find both recipes here. There's sweet Amish pepper slaw, a tangy red cabbage slaw recipe a friend gave me and the basic buttermilk version that was the first homemade version I tried.

Sati Babi
Tonight we were having Satay Babi--Filipino style grilled pork.You can find the recipe here. And I had a bag of cut coleslaw in my fridge, leftover from the pancit and lumpia we'd made for New Year's.
And horrors of horrors, I promised to post those recipes LAST year and never did. But it was that sort of year. They ARE coming.





Asian coleslaw, mixed and about to be chilled.
So I made an Asian style coleslaw, based on a version I'd found at Allrecipes.com.  But I made it simpler by using the bagged slaw, bottled ginger and garlic.
The original also includes Napa cabbage and red peppers, but I think it's fine as is.

And thanks to some terrific tools--and I am going to start posting about some of the best little gadgets I keep in my kitchen-- it went together in minutes and chilled for about 1/2 an hour while I was cooking the pork and putting together soup for my ailing daughter--more about that later.


This was delicious and went perfectly with the sati babi. The Man and I ate just about the entire bowl.

What a pity the girls don't like this.
Heh-heh-heh......................


Asian Cole Slaw
You could mix the dressing for this in a food processor or blender, but it goes together easily by hand.
I halved the original recipe. The dressing won't seem like it's enough, but remember that when you make a cole slaw that includes something acidic like vinegar or lemon juice, the cabbage wilts and gives off lots of liquid! So if you have any left, expect it to get wetter. It's fine that way though for a few days.



  • 1 bag         cole slaw mix  (look in the produce section near the bagged salads)
  • 3 Tbs        rice wine vinegar (plain white would be okay if you don't have this)
  • 3 Tbs        canola oil
  • 2 1/2 Tbs   peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
  • 1 1/2 Tbs   soy sauce (lowest sodium you can find!)
  • 1 1/2 Tbs   brown sugar
  • 1 Tbs         minced ginger  (you can buy this in a jar in the produce dept)
  • 2 Tsp         minced garlic   (also in a jar in the produce section) 


Put the coleslaw into a large bowl. 
Mix all the other ingredients in a small bowl, beating well to liquify the peanut butter.
Pour dressing over coleslaw and toss well.
Chill for at least 1/2 hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...