Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Cucumber Salad from "The Frugal Gourmet"

I owe Jeff Smith, once known at TV's "Frugal Gourmet" a lot,  especially for my infamous NYC cheesecake and for this recipe, which is fast, basic and delicious. Yes, Mr Smith did end his life with scandal and disgrace, but as Alton Brown said, "his recipes worked."

And so does this one. It's a very basic cucumber salad, what Jews call "a new pickle", because it only spends a short time fermenting. In fact, I often make this in the afternoon and serve it an hour or two later. Usually with Korean bulgogi. We're that sort of a family. And my Filipina sister-in-law loves this so much that she often asks me to make it for family get togethers.

The only essentials are the cucumbers, the sugar, the water, the vinegar and the onion. You can add dill or other seasonings, but this is fine on its own. Thinly sliced cukes will pickle quicker, but thicker ones last longer in the fridge.  Little "pickling" cukes are idea, but regular large ones work too.

You can also julienne the cukes, which makes for something similar to a Korean banchan side dish. For this same reason, radishes--regular or daikon-- or carrots--sliced or matchsticked--also are great in this dish.

Cucumber Salad               Adapted from "The Frugal Gourmet" by Jeff Smith
2 cucumbers (or a batch of picking cukes, maybe 6-8), peeled andsliced
1 yellow onion thinly sliced
¾ Cup sugar
½ Cup water
1 Cup white vinegar



1. Combine the cucumbers and the onions in a large bowl with a lid or a large canning jar.
2. Combine the sugar, water, white vinegar  in a saucepan and bring it to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Or heat this in a microwave until it begins to boil
3. Pour the liquid over the cucumbers and onions, stir well and chill. Several hours or overnight is best, but you can eat it as soon as you think it's ready!







2 comments:

  1. Thank you sooo much. I had this recipe, but lost it. I love it! So happy to have it again.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful,Jackie!
      I honestly don't know if people read this blog, especially since over the last year I haven't been updating it. But it's still useful to me as a place where I KNOW that I've stored my recipes. :D

      Delete

Mmmmm....comments...............

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...